Cabbage cultivation isn’t a difficult process, you just have to grow them in cool temperature. They are magnet for some pets, but if you take good care of this plant, you can grow them twice per year. They are good to grow in fall and spring season, there are many varieties, you can choose based on soil and weather conditions. Cabbage is full of vitamins, growing them will prove to be a good decision.
- You have to start 8 weeks before spring ends. You need to mix nitrogen fertilizer in soil, cabbage require nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus for their growth. The pH scale of soil should be between 6.5 and 6.8.
- Wear gloves and plant seeds 12 to 25 inches apart in a straight row. It is good idea to grow cabbage when there is full sun. Make sure you don’t plant seeds too deep, just level them with the soil.
- They need regular water so supply 1 to 1.5 inch water, but if there is rain then don’t do it. If weather is warm, they need extra water for growth. Mulch the area to ensure there isn’t weed left.
- When they reach up to 5 inch, thin so that they are of desired length. You can transplant it somewhere else, just make sure to fertilize every 3 weeks. The soil have to be moist and water must be up to 1.5 inches.
- Harvest cabbage when it reaches desired size. This may take up to 70 days for any type of cabbage, most early harvest should have 1 to 2 pound heads.
- You can cut head with the help of a knife. When they are harvested, bring them inside or put where there is shade.
- If you want to get two crops then cut the head off and leave roots in the soil so that they can regrow. The plant will grow again, you can pinch them when there are only four or less heads remain. If they grow up to tennis ball size, they are best for salad and sandwich.
Once they are harvested, make sure to remove them from the root so that your soil is safe from disease. If you want to grow something on that soil, then those roots can cause problem. This harvested cabbage can be stored for up to two weeks, you can wrap in a plastic and store. If you keep proper condition then you can store them up to 3 months.