Quail Farming Information Guide - Quail Bird Farming
Quail is a common name for several varieties of mid-sized birds .
Quails are little birds and commercially grown for their meat Production as well profitable quail eggs.
Quil Bird Farming is Super Easy, cost-effective and enjoyable.
It’s effortless to maintain Quail Bird Farming because quails are among the smallest species of poultry birds. Mainly Commercial quail farming in Japan has spread broadly. Now many people throughout the world are performing Quil Bird farming business commercially for meat production and profitable quail eggs.
Advantages of Quail Bird Farming
- Quail Birds are smaller sized poultry birds, and it’s straightforward to handle them. The main benefits of starting Quail Bird farming business are listed below.
Quails are a small sized bird so that they can grow in the little place.
Feeding price of quail bird is relatively lower than chickens or other poultry birds.
Diseases are less in Quail birds, and they are solid.
Quails grow very fast and gain maturity quicker than any other poultry birds.
They start producing eggs within their 6 to 7 weeks of age.
It takes about 16 to 18 days to prepare their eggs.
Chicken and eggs of quail bird are very tasty, delicious and nutritious. So it’s a great source of food and nutrition.
Quail Bird farming needs little capital, and labor cost is low.
Quail Birds can be grown successfully in commercially. Many people have previously started commercial quail bird farming business.
You can grow 6 to 7 quail birds in the same place that needed for one chicken.
For growing quail birds initial costs are less, so you can start this business with a minimal investment.
Commercial quail bird farming business can be a significant source of income. Even, you can start growing quail farming with a few quail birds along with your current profession.
Life span for Quail birds - quail farming
Quail birds sustain for 3 to 5 years. An adult quail bird weights between 150 to 200 grams. Female quail birds start producing eggs from their 6 to 7 weeks of age. Each egg of quail bird weights between 7 to 15 grams.
It needs around 17 days to produce quail eggs. A freshly born quail chick weights around 6 to 7 grams.
We recommend For high breeding purpose retain one male quail with each five female quail birds.
Quail chicks become extremely sensitive and take about two weeks to be strong enough. Quail Eggs of 9 to 11 grams weight with smooth and hard. Quail birds Can be marketed at an early age, i.e., five weeks
How to Start Quail Farming Business?
As quails are small sized chicken birds, so it’s straightforward to establish a quail birds farm. Make a decent quail bird growing business plan before starting. And work according to the scheme. A good business plan should include breeds, housing, feeding, care, and marketing strategies. Here we are shortly describing every step.
Choose Best Quail Bird Breeds - quail farming
There over 100 various wild quail breeds mostly in Asia and North America. Nevertheless, they can be split down into two main collections.
Few of the below:
1. Japanese Quail
3.New Zealand Quail or Koreke
8.King Quail or Blue-breasted Quail.
9.Snow Mountain Quail.
14.Himalayan Quail ... etc.
- Common breeds include:
Housing - Quail bird
1. Deep litter system
- Six quail birds can be reared in a one sq.ft. of space.
After two weeks, Quail birds can move in cages. This will help to gain healthy body weight, as unnecessary wandering of animals avoided.
2. Cage System - Quail Bird
|Age||Cage Size||No.of birds in Cage|
|2 weeks||3 x 2.5 x 1.5 ft||100|
|3 - 6 weeks||4 x 2 .5 x 1.5 ft||50|
- Each unit is about 6 feet in length and 1 foot in width and subdivided into six subunits.
Maintain sufficient spacing; the cages can be arranged up to six tiers high. There can be 4 to 5 enclosures in a row.
The bottom of the cabinet is fixed with detachable temporary plates to clean the quail bird dropping.
- Long linear feed holes placed in front of the cages. Water troughs placed at the back of the enclosures.
- Commercial egg layers commonly housed in groups of 10-12 birds per pen. For breeding purposes, male quails included in the cages in the ratio of 1 to 3 females.
Feed Management for quail bird
|Feed Ingredients||Chick mash||Grower mash|
|0-3 weeks||4-6 weeks|
- Feed stuff should make of small particles
- A 5 weeks old quail bird consumes approximately 500 gms of feed.
- Quail bird of 6 months old, consumes about 30-35 gms of feed per day.
- Quail bird requires about 400 gms feed for the return of 12 eggs.
- Broiler starter mix can use by adding 5 kg of oil cakes to 75 feed. The scrap size reduced by crushing the feed for one more time.
Management of quail egg farming
- Age of six weeks, female quails typically weigh 175-200 gm, and the males weigh about 125-150gm.
Female quails start laying eggs at seven weeks of age and continue to 22 weeks of age Normally; egg laying occurs during the evening time of the day.
- The quail egg usually weighs about 9-10 g
The breast of the male quail is narrow and closed with somewhat divided brown and white wings.
- But the female quail has a large breast wrapped with brown feathers with black marks.
- The female and male quails should divide at the time of 4 weeks.
- 16 hours of light per day must be accessible to the egg laying quails.
Management of quail Birds ( Small quail Birds)
- One day old quail chicks usually weigh 8-10 g.
- Hence, the quail chicks need more heat. The absence of sufficient heat and exposure to high-speed fresh wind leads to clustering of young ones, which results in high mortality.
Reproduction Quail eggs
- Quails start laying their eggs at the age of 7th week. They attain 50% egg production at 8th week of age.
- To produce first eggs, the male quails should rear along with the females at 8-10 weeks of age.
- The male, female ratio is 1:5
- The incubation period in quails is 18 days.
With 500 female quails, we can produce 1500 quail chicks per week.
Quail Birds Diseases
When there is a deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the female quail breeders, the chicks obtained from their fertile eggs are usually lean with weak legs.
Over come above problem, the breeder females should provide with best minerals and vitamins in their feed.
Quails are resistant to infectious diseases than chicken. So there is no vaccination required for quails. But light and timely water are needed.
Proper management of quail chicks, disinfecting farm premises, providing clean drinking water to quails and feeding of quality concentrate feed will prevent disease outbreaks in quail farms.
Quail bird meat - quail farming
Dressed quail meat weighs 70-73% weight of live quail. A Hundred grams of quail meat typically obtained from a quail weighing 140 g.
Major challenges in quail Farming - rearing
Male quails usually make an unusual sound which is often disturbing to the human.
When rearing the male and female quails together, the male quails peck the other quails and make them blind. At times, the death of the quails also noticed.
Licence requirement for quail farming
A government license is required to sell commercial Japanese quail considering the jungle variety of the bird, which is a protected species. The Ministry of environment and forests delegated the power to grant such license to the department of Animal husbandry. Entrepreneurs can also contact Central Poultry Development Organisation, Mumbai for the issue of permits. If you based in India.
You may also like to consider.
find even more articles - kisanfarming.com