Lemon tree farming requires sunny and protected area. Standard tree can grow up to 22 feet tall, whereas some trees can only grow up to 12 feet. Lemon is a self-fertile plant, which means you only need tree and nothing else. It gives fruit when it has reach age of 3 to 6 years, exact time depends on the type of lemon, climate, plant health, and other factors.
Planting Lemon Tree
- Best time for lemon tree farming is spring, but it can be planted anytime.
- It requires protected and sunny land, having up to 10 feet distance from each other. The distance depends on the variety, more the distance, better the fruit will be.
- To prevent water logging, make sure to plant it on slight mound. This condition apply if the soil isn’t well drained.
- If you are planning to plant via seeds, remove seeds from fruit and soak overnight in water. When this step is completed, plant seeds half inch deep in soil. It will be best if you plant in a pot and cover it with a plastic bag. Make sure it is placed in a warm and sunny area for few weeks until they start to grow. When you see small plants, remove plastic and keep that pot near a sunny area.
Taking Care of Lemon tree farming
- Before plant reaches fruit bearing age, give it a balanced fertilizer such as 6-6-6. Make sure to give in starting few weeks.
- When tree is newly planted, it requires nutrients to grow big and leafy. It also need nutrients when start to give fruit, so citrus blend will be the ideal choice.
- You can ask directions from the nursery if you are buying seeds and plants from them. Ask how much fertilizer it requires every year.
- Mulch isn’t recommended for lemon tree farming, but if plant in an area where mulch is high used, then keep 12 inch difference between the truck of tree and mulch. You can use herbicides to get rid of weed from growing nearby.
- It is extremely important to do tree thinning.
- It depend on the fruit and climate, but usually it takes up to 8 months to ripen.
- To find if it is ready, you can taste few or check the color
- It is up to you how you prune the fruit, you can hand pick or use a tool. An undamaged lemon can be stored for weeks.
you may also consider : Everything About indian farming information