Grow Artichoke is easier than people think of, they can grow in a wider range of climate. You must have seem Artichoke in store many times, but have you ever thought whether it is fresh? You can grow these at home by using a step by step guide. Here what you need to do to grow Artichoke at home.
How to Grow Artichoke
- Prepare the soil: You have to mix compost in the soil. This vegetable need cool temperature, sandy and fast drained soil. They need water on regularly basis, the harvest of vegetable depends on it. If someone just want to grow them for garden rather than eating, then they can easily survive on little water. This vegetable is susceptible to freezing and it does well where temperature is constant.
- How to Plant: They need full sun so plant them where sun exposure is high. If it is cold, then make sure to put enough mulch in roots so that plant survives, if you can then grow them in large containers and move to a location where temperature is suitable for them. Give fertilizer when you see greenery, start by giving small amount. The best time to plant is in spring or fall, they usually germinate within 20 days if moisture is kept under 18 to 24 centigrade. 6.5 to 7 should be the pH scale of soil, sow seeds up to 0.6 cm deep and 0.6 cm apart. Cover it with 0.6 vermiculite soil.
- Harvesting: Artichokes are ready to be picked when their heads are closed, if you will wait for the plant to open, they won’t be as good. Smaller ones can be eaten without removing their inside bud. They usually takes up to 150 days to mature if planted with proper care.
Artichoke Farming is not that difficult, all you need to do is follow instructions step by step. Keep in consideration that when germination is over, they need 15 to 28 centigrade temperature.
Saving the Seeds
Their heads are cut once they begin to show seed plumes. Store it in a dry place, away from direct sunlight until they are dry. Place the flower head in a canvas bad on concrete surface. You have to pound base using hammer. Seeds are quite heavy so they remain behind, make sure to remove them from bag to avoid crushing.
Artichoke health benefits
- Artichoke is low in calories and fat; 100 g of this bloom bud just conveys 47 calories. In any case, it is a rich wellspring of dietary fiber and hostile to oxidants. It gives 5.4 g for each 100 g, around 14% of RDA fiber. Dietary-fiber controls blockage conditions, diminishes terrible or "LDL" cholesterol levels by tying to it in the digestion tracts and chop down colon tumor dangers by anticipating dangerous mixes in the sustenance from ingestion.
- Artichoke contains sharp standards, cynarin and sesquiterpene-lactones. Logical studies demonstrate that these mixes hinder cholesterol blend as well as expansion its discharge in the bile, and therefore, offer general diminishment in the aggregate cholesterol some assistance with leveling in the blood.
- New artichoke is a superb wellspring of vitamin, folic corrosive; gives around 68 µg per 100 g (17% of suggested every day stipend). Folic corrosive goes about as a co-element for chemicals included in the blend of DNA. Exploratory studies have demonstrated that satisfactory levels of folates in the eating routine amid pre-origination period, and amid ahead of schedule pregnancy may forestall neural tube deformities in the infant
- New globes additionally contain moderate measures of against oxidant vitamin; vitamin-C (Provides around 20% of suggested levels for every 100 g). Customary utilization of sustenances rich in vitamin C offers the body some assistance with developing resistance against irresistible specialists and search hurtful, expert provocative free radicals from the body.