dragon fruit farming is native to tropical countries. It is one of the fastest growing vine, which needs vertical support to grow. It can live up to 20 years with extensive care, which means selection of rings and poles is important. Usually, farmers plant dragon fruit farming four seeds per pole to get maximum yield. It is essential to provide them with proper pole so that they can move freely. Don’t choose metal because it can heat up in sun, which can burn the plant.
Planting dragon fruit farming
- Site preparation: dragon fruit Farming require open field having direct sun exposure. It is not suitable for areas where rain is distributed. Soil should be sandy loam having high organic matter.
- Preparing ground: Rows are mounded to 350mm, and poles should be no longer than 2 meter. You can choose any type of pole, just make sure there is frame attached at the top so that plant can hang down. Most recommended method is to have three meters between plants and up to 3 meters between the rows. Distance between plants is important because narrow space gives better yield than large spacing.
Planting Material and Irrigation System for dragon fruit farming
dragon fruit farming is planted via cuttings or seed. If it is grown via seed, it require a lot of compost in soil. Once seeds are planted, the plant germinate between 10 and 15 days. As the plant grow, it will need something to climb up, so gardeners have to put aerial roots to the base. When the plant reaches mature state, it will grow flowers.
If you are planting via cutting, plant it inside a plastic bag and then transfer to open field. You can purchase cutting from a local nursery.
Water is essential for dragon fruit farming, this plant needs up to 80 L per day. Organic mulch on regular basis is also recommended. Make sure to concentrate into root zone when giving water.
Things that are needed for quality yield for dragon fruit farming
- You will have to provide organic fertilizer and urea. Using nitrogen, along with organic matter will be a good option. The ideal time to apply fertilizer will be every 3 to 6 months.
- Ginger ants, birds, and meat ants will cause problems for you so make sure there is a plan to tackle this problem. You may need netting to keep birds away from dragon fruit .
- To obtain a perfect umbrella shape, regular pruning is required. It is important to prune after every harvest.
Once the plant is established, it will take up to 26 months to grow dragon fruit .
The time for harvest is 40 days from the time of flower opening. When the color changes from green to pink, it will be ready to pick .
you may also like